Friday, February 25, 2011

Questions about legalizing morality

Can we really legalize morality? I've been asking myself that question. Goldwater says no, and I would tend to agree with him. However, God gave laws to Moses so that the people of Israel would know how to live. David wrote in the Psalms that he craved for that law, so that he could walk correctly. Paul spoke about how he would not know sin except by knowing the law, and without the law convicting his sin, he would not know grace. Jesus stated that he was not there to eradicate the law, but to fulfill it. He is still very much alive. The law was fulfilled in Him, but now I ask, what does that mean for us today? What does that mean when trying to create a just society? Can the Kingdom of God really fit into a "society" of man's making? I don't know. I'm asking.

Until Jesus returns (and He will, He promised), we have to learn how to work within the systems of this world, while not becoming slaves to ideology. (even Jesus seemed to have a respect for the government of the day when he said "give to Caesar what is Caesar's.) A theocracy won't happen til He is back and democracy seems to be the best we've got in the meantime. However, that democracy that was founded on freedom WITHIN the confines of godly law, is slipping away.

(and I am NOT an expert on government or law making or the Bible so everything I'm writing in this blog is MERELY a reflection of my own processing and thinking...and I am totally open to hearing the opinions of much wiser people than I.)

I still wonder if creating laws to enforce what some consider moral really works. Until the purpose behind the law is written on our hearts, and we actually start to crave righteousness, we will choose the easy way where the broad road compels us to walk. The condition of our hearts seems to, in many ways, reflect the laws that are made by legislators in a democratic system. Which is why deep down, I feel that stirring for true revival that brings transformation--that reaches hearts that have walked that broad path and find that all it brings in the end is hopelessness and confusion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. I believe that this implies that Christians are caught up in diversionary battles when they get caught up in legislating morality rather than reaching hearts. I dont know how many times we have to remind ourselves but, God's kingdom comes not by power, nor by might, but by the Spirit. And the spirit reaches hearts. When hearts are changed, behaviors changes. When behavior changes laws will change.
-Thierry Dongala