Saturday, February 19, 2011

you have my attention

I have a criticism of our culture: we don't really understand friendship. In a world of superficial connections and shallow conversation, scientists say that our brains our rewiring themselves to fit today's technology and fast pace. It's incredible to think that our brains have the ability to do that, but at the same time, it makes me wonder what is being left behind in the process when it comes to community and relationship. However, I'm quite hoping that technology can't win because we were made for friendship, and eventually, the thirst for that will be strong enough to break the addictions that try to keep us from this. At least I have that hope.

I have this crazy hunch that friendship is super important to God. Most likely I could get some legit theologians to back me up on this claim.

And the scripture was fulfilled that says,
"Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"
and he was called God's friend.

To be called a friend of God must be one of the highest honors...so I want to learn what it means to see Him and to listen to Him, like I would to my friends over skype or over coffee.

Tonight though, I was thinking about how I am more considerate of the people who are my friends here on earth. I ask them "How are you doing today?" "Can I help you with something?" "How's your heart?" and often I find myself genuinely listening to them, wanting to offer them my heart by giving them my time.

God on the other hand, the one who I consider to be my "best" friend, gets the occasional glance, the spacey stare so often these days. "I'll be with you in one second, Jesus!" and then rush off to do something that was apparently more urgent, forgetting all about that promise. I used to be wild about spending time with HIm--couldn't wait to wake up before the sun to find Him in a quiet space. Where is John the Beloved when I need him, telling me, "Caitlin! Go after your first love! He is the most important. His time is worth more than the greatest of kings. Don't let the lesser lovers steal the moments with the One who knows you far better than any other."

Amazingly, I know that unlike a lot of people in the natural who would forsake me as a friend if I brushed them off, giving them the cold shoulder and withdrawing from them my time or attention, God remains constant. He doesn't walk away.

WHY doesn't He walk away?! Sometimes because I think I deserve that, I wish He would just say, "Hey, I'm done with you. This is taking too long." I have a hard time dealing with this love that does not behave like man--this love that sees my heart and is willing to wait for me to turn my eyes up.

It's like He's waiting for moments like tonight, where my senses come to attention, realizing the craving for Majesty that's been suppressed. My heart says, "Oh God, where is it that I've been this whole time? HERE I AM! I want to be your friend. Tell me what's on Your heart."

That's conviction right there, the Spirit going right to my heart, awakening something that's been asleep due to my own delusional pursuits.

May the use of my time please this Friend who never walks away.


No comments: