Tuesday, January 4, 2011

relationships vs. rules

Over the past few days, there has been a consistent theme that keeps showing up. This quote sums it up:

"It is true that relationships are a whole lot messier than rules, but rules will never give you answers to deep questions of the heart and they will never love you." The Shack

I've never read the Shack. I realize that it's become quite controversial in some Christian circles, but since the author never intended the book to be something people base their theology on, I think it's safe to say that he is an artist who wrote a story. And I can learn something from that story. I read this quote from the book the other day, and it lined up with something that I'd been reading earlier this week about creating a culture of honor in your life.

It's not rules that make us want to protect a relationship. It's not rules that make us want to follow God. It's love.

No comments: