Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fighting for Freedom

The story of William Wallace and Sir Robert the Bruce has long been an inspiration to me, which was most likely influenced initially by the movie Braveheart.

When I was 17, I went off to a Bible School for a two year span that ended up changing my life. I went as a shy girl, not believing in myself, with a wrecked sense of identity. I left two years later knowing that I had a voice, and knowing that I was called to take the best of my natural heritage and the best of the heritage that I adopted while a student...and change the world for Jesus. I knew that as quiet as I may be, there was still something fierce in me to see my generation walk in freedom. It feels like ages ago since I was 19, and so much has happened in my life since then--which is exactly as it should be, I suppose. That's called growing.

I've met professors who have been mentors, friends who have been catalysts to character growth, situations that were uncomfortable and demanded more perseverance than I thought I could muster. But the foundation that God established in my life during those two years is such a key part of my destiny. It's the place where the Holy Spirit started opening up scripture to me about Sonship and started showing me through the teachings of those much wiser than me, that our lives are meant to be instruments of justice.

When I left, a spiritual mom of mine gave me a miniature replica of Sir Robert the Bruce's sword that she received while in Scotland, where a team was pioneering justice churches in England. For her, it represented justice and it was a symbol of the call of God upon her life to be an instrument of justice, as well as impact a generation with justice and mercy--to fight for the freedom of a generation. I remember how honored I felt to receive something so precious, and even more-so, I will never forget what the sword meant symbolically for my life. With the sword I was given a card that said:

"I want to pass this prophetic symbol, as a legacy, onto you--a daughter in Zion, one who has a hear for justice, wants to life her voice for those who have none, one who will build platforms for others, and one who will continually recklessly abandon yourself to the Lord!"

On the inside of the box where the sword is held, there is a quote from the Declaration of Arboath. It says, "we fight not for glory nor wealth nor honors, but for freedom alone which no good man surrenders but with life itself." Right after that, there is a brief summary of the story of the day the Scots gained their independence from England. They were outnumbered 4 to 1, against one of the greatest military forces of the world, with not much chance for victory. However, legend has it that:

"After being defeated at a battle, Bruce escaped and found a hideout in a cave. Hiding in a cave for three months, Bruce was at the lowest point of his life. He thought about leaving the country and never coming back.

While waiting, he watched a spider building a web in the cave's entrance. The spider fell down time after time, but finally he succeeded with his web. So Bruce decided also to retry his fight and told his men: "If at first you don't succeed, try try and try again".

It's an old legend, but I want to believe that there is a lot of truth to the story--that he really did find a way to reach a deep inner strength and determination, leading his men and nation to victory.

As I look at both our culture and my own need to make some decisions, it's hard to not feel some heaviness. However, this story reminds me every time I think of it that persevering is worth it, even when others don't understand. Maybe sometimes it's necessary to go into the cave for a time and get struck by the wonder of a small spider, in order to gain strength for the big battle ahead. God knows what He is doing.

Even still, I keep moving where I feel peace, whether that means staying home for a year or moving to an unknown land. Taking risks while being led forth with peace and joy--it seems like a paradox, but maybe it really isn't. Either way, I will not let the cry die inside of my heart that fluctuates between a yell and a whisper, "There is a cause!" and that it is worth giving everything.

So as I move into this new season beyond graduation and my first job, not knowing what to expect ahead, I thank God for reminding me again and again of this story--and for giving me the courage to keep pursuing the Kingdom first, above all else.

Amen.

No comments: