Friday, July 23, 2010

arm linked with legacy

My grandma and I went on a trip to the bank today right before lunch. As we left the house, she put her arm inside of mine, and we proceeded down the sidewalk. Slowly I helped her get into the car.

As we finished up our errand with the bank, she asked if there was a McDonalds close by. We drove across the street for some food and caffeine (yep, she definitely drinks just as much coffee as me). As I helped my almost 90 year old grandma get out of the car, she once again linked her arm inside of mine, and tears welled up in my eyes. In the flash of a second, the blink of an eye, I was struck quiet by the realization of the immense honor I've been given to have this woman in my life. In her there are stories and experiences that stretch to a time in history that feels so distant from today--and yet here she is, her arm in mine, the sacredness of her story right beside me and now inside of me.

I am in awe of this woman and her strength--I am in awe of God and His goodness to allow me to have this opportunity to have her arm linked inside of mine.

No comments: