Friday, May 28, 2010

"These Are Great Days"

[churchill]


I read that in the gift store of the underground seattle tour.

This trip has been good for my heart. I've climbed through trees, walked in Vancouver's Chinatown, walked underneath a city, met a random poet, listened to multiple street musicians, increased the odd fascination I have with sailboats, consumed huge amounts of bubble tea, walked across a huge (and high) swinging bridge, interrupted the set where a tv show was being filmed, climbed up cliffs and sat down on rocks overlooking incredible landscape. And the whole time I felt words come back--the desire to write and to articulate things returned. Even when it seems like no amount of description can do life justice, at least I can try.

As I was flying over the Columbia River and the Cascade Mountains just a few minutes away from landing in Seattle, I wrote in my journal,

"May the spirit of the west destroy my fears and my boxes."

That remains my prayer.

These ARE great days and life IS beautiful. But not all is right. Because it is not all right, there is still a need for the prophet's voice and the poet's plea and the healer's touch. There is still a need for voices of justice, who understand the Father's heart and can bring life into places of darkness. This is something I can't get away from because my heart feels the call of such a ministry...of such a lifestyle.

And so my thoughts turn to the holiness of daily life and the moments I can give life with this single life I've been given. What else is there to live for?

And again my thoughts spin. Are there moments in history where kings become prophets and find the courage to risk throne and life for the sake of what is right and just? I wonder.

I wonder. And wander. Not aimlessly. Just in search of life and truth.

"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.'"
[psalm 91:2]

And in the words of my mama, who addressed my fears of the future with this wisdom:

"Love Jesus, grow in intimacy with Him. Enjoy Him--learn His walk of love, peace. He has a plan that's magnificent."

Ah yes, these are great days.

No comments: