Tuesday, June 30, 2009

remembering

Sometimes I wonder if it is strange that I like to document things in an almost obsessive manner. Give me a camera and I won't stop taking pictures. Put a camcorder in my hands and the record button will be on constant red. Give me a journal and pen, and my hands won't be able to stop writing until I've made sure the details are there.

I wonder if it's because I don't trust myself to remember. And there are some things that I don't want to ever forget.

i don't want to forget the way dirt roads feel when you drive on them. the way i had to cross over a body of water to get to a village that is only accessible in low tide. how the sun sets are different every night. the look in the eyes of the man on the street when we told him God loves him even if he smokes. how thankful the wife was when we prayed for her marriage. the love in the hugs of the people. the taste of tostones con queso. how much fun it is to make friends with random school groups that are visiting an active volcanoe at the same time as you, and somehow you get the chance to tell them you have the best dad in the whole world. teamwork. prophecy. healing. learning how to love more deeply. seeing into eyes that are full of joy even in poverty. hearing the word thank you when you barely did anything to help. being stretched in speaking spanish. finding out home isn't necessarily a place. learning how to see more clearly...to look more closely. recognizing that you can't be offered til you're broken. learning that the climb up requires a lot of laying down. volcanoes. mountain hikes. mosquitoes. miracles. restored hearts. deliverance. healings. protection. provision. divine knowledge.

I don't want to forget how faithful God is and how good He is to open our eyes up to see His beauty.

No comments: