Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Grace




A group of us passed this guy on the street. Stopping to say hello, we decided to sit down next to him for a chat. He was more than happy for the company. As we talked with him about Jesus, he said he couldn't receive such a gift...that he wasn't worthy of such a friend. He shared that he smoked. In his heart, he believed that before he could come to God, his life needed to be sorted out.

We prayed with him for about 15 minutes. We prayed for his heart, his eyesight, his regrets. He cried. He smiled. He thanked us. We thanked Jesus.

In the course of that time, I pray that God let him know His love.

As I walked away from that encounter, I thought about in my own life. Do I live in a way that says, "God will only help those who help themselves"? And if so, how is that grace? How is that really believing that Jesus died to allow a way for sinners to join Him at the banqueting table? Why do I often think I have to clean myself up before I can come before Him?

Just some things that got me thinking.

No comments: