Sunday, November 4, 2007

Forward Movement

Forward movement can be hard. Often, when I think of having to move forward, it's usually because I have to get over a disappointment in my life or I need to believe that I can still do something, despite failing at it once or twice. But today I realized that one of the biggest hindrances to moving forward can be success and safety. When things are going great, it's easy to get comfortable and not want to move. I wonder if that was the rich ruler's problem. He was rich, had good connections, came from a good family, had a great reputation. Jesus challenged him to give up his possessions so that he could follow Him. But the ruler walked away from the challenge because he didn't want to get that uncomfortable. Jesus brought friction to his safe zone by daring him to move out of what made sense. It makes me sad that he didn't obey because now I'll never know what could have been. Who knows what his life would have been like if he walked away from the comfortable into the unknown. That's why my perspective is starting to change about friction. I want Jesus to make me uncomfortable. Even when it means I can't be safe. Even when it requires I give up some friendships, some dreams, some "riches" in the natural. Even if it means sometimes I'll be misunderstood or misevaluated--because I'd rather be misunderstood by the "wise" if it means I don't have to live with the regrets of not choosing the narrow path. I want to keep moving forward because God is always advancing. And the safest place seems to be right in the fire, where I feel the most friction, because that's where I'm becoming more like Jesus.

No comments: