Thursday, November 15, 2007

Brilliant Light

Tonight I was at a Bible Study with about eight other students from my college. We had such a great time fellowshipping and sharing from the Word. While we were talking, one of the Scriptures that came up really stuck with me. It's one that I hear a lot, but I think it's very important to remind myself of it, especially with the culture as it is right now. In Matthew 5:14--16, Jesus was teaching His disciples up on a mountain about the Kingdom of God. He knew that He was only going to be with them a short time, and they needed preparation for what was ahead. Starting with the Beatitudes as His very first sermon, He breaks it down for them in a way they can understand the essence of what a son/daughter of God looks like. That is a whole new blog, but this one is focused more on the part that follows the Beatitudes. Jesus told them,

"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

Wow! To be the light of the whole world means God's children should be giving off some major shine. For some people, that light is going to bug the heck out of them--like this morning when my sister had to wake up before me, and she left all of the lights on in our room. I almost threw about three pillows at her because I was agitated that my sleep was interrupted. But eventually, I decided to just wake up and start my day with a cup of coffee (with tons of milk) and a longer than usual one-on-one time with Jesus. It ended up being an awesome day.

Now, to put that into a spiritual context--People who are asleep need to wake up! They need to be agitated. Someone already awake is going to love the light--like my sister. But the person who encounters the light while still in darkness is going to experience friction because their comfort level is being challenged. That doesn't mean just unsaved people--but also those who know Jesus and start walking in sin that grieves God's heart. I want to be awake--and I want those around me to be awake, too. I guess everyone has a choice to either check out the light or roll over in bed and fall back asleep, but I'm going to pray they choose the first option. And I'm going to pray that they get so agitated that they can't help but find out why the light is so bright.

So, how do I be that "light"? I know for sure I don't have all of the ansers, but the whole concept of being a "light" seems to get overspiritualized in the church. I think it comes down to just being in love with the most Brilliant one we've ever known, and letting Him shine brilliantly through us. Sometimes that brilliance will show up by loving those labeled unlovable. Sometimes it's by standing up for truth, even when everyone else disagrees. Sometimes it's just allowing the peace and calm of Jesus to show through us to those whose hearts are anxious, or choosing purity when compromising situations arise. Gods brilliance isn't limited to just one form or expression. But when we just make the choice to shine, people are going to notice. And then I know God will guide us on what to do from there, because He receives glory through us.

No comments: