Friday, October 19, 2012

I used to view Psalm 23 as the scripture passage read at funerals.  Over this past year though, the words started taking on a whole new meaning. It's amazing how one day something that you've read/heard your whole life suddenly comes alive, like the words are screaming out, wanting to explode in your heart.  

"You prepare a table before me," has become the visual picture of the Father that's captivated my imagination the past few months. I am constantly seeing this scene of Him setting a table where all are welcome, all are wanted, all are His favorite.  That may seem cliche, but when it becomes YOUR picture, it becomes a reality that changes your life.  For me, it is a reality of protection, provision, total acceptance.  It is this safe place that is constantly available to me, where I can fellowship with Him regardless of what's going on around me.  His love doesn't alter.  That's the revelation of the Father that I want to have consume me.  

In Sonnet 116, Shakespeare seems to have found words for love that I think can be applied to the picture of God that is becoming alive to my heart: 

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark 
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks 
Within his bending sickle's compass come: 
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, 
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
   If this be error and upon me proved,
   I never writ, nor no man ever loved. 


An ever fixed marked.  Never shaken. That is His love for us.  For humanity.  

No comments: