Friday, September 23, 2011

thoughts on college ruled notebooks

Writing class notes the old fashioned way, in a college ruled notebook with a pen that makes my middle finger sore from writing with too much force, led to some interesting thoughts last night.

As I was sitting in biology class, trying hard to listen and write important information about carbohydrates and lipids and proteins while adding my own creative flair to the examples drawn on the board, my mind started to multi task with thoughts of how many years it's taken for this information to be discovered and assembled.  Not only that, but the search never ends.  Science is always asking questions, always seeking new discoveries, always ready to both add onto and reassess current information.

So inside of this three dollar notebook, I am writing down information that has been gathered over centuries, built upon through many ages.  There is a richness that lies within that perspective; one which can be applied across other areas of study.

For some reason, I am just amazed by how, inside of a cheap notebook, I can record information worth more than I can calculate.

No comments: