Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sometimes to beat the afternoon traffic rush in the DC area, I will head to College Park early and find a spot close to campus to study.  For some reason, libraries just haven't been working great as a place for learning information, so I've decided to keep the library as my leisure reading spot and try new places for my more intense studying.

Which is what led me to McDonald's on University Blvd.  Definitely a spot to engage in hardcore studying.  

Before going, I called one of my sisters because I felt unfocused and out of sorts (which has become more common than not lately).  She prayed for me, but the only part of the prayer I remember was when she asked God to give me divine appointments.  

Sadly, I have to admit, when she prayed for me to run into people who could help refocus me, my mind instantly went to visions of well known professors or experts in a field.  Those are respectable people, and what a great goal it is to find favor with them.  Right?  Well, I took it as such and then proceeded to enter the fast food chain, full of visions of the greatness to come.  

After ordering iced tea and oatmeal (awesome combination, eh?), I took a seat by a window, in a booth next to an older gentleman with a cane.  We exchanged polite pleasantries, and then I sat down, pulling out my material with a little too much force.  I was determined to learn how to find electrons in an element, and I settled it in my mind that in an hour, I would become a master in electron hunting and finding.  

About ten minutes into it, things were far from registering.  Every word felt like it was part of a new language-.  As I sat there, acting like I understood everything I was reading (as a nice little show for the others in the McDonalds), I noticed a man was standing close by, sipping on a smoothie.  

He saw me look up, and as soon as that happened, my little world of chemistry and me was over.  His questions began, "So, what is it you are studying?" As he asked the question, I noticed that his teeth had the markings of severe neglect, and from his outside appearance, I concluded that it may be a result of drug use as a young man.  I wasn't sure, but all of a sudden, I felt something tug at my heart, "Don't miss this moment.  Don't overlook this guy."  So I engaged my heart in what he had to say, using all the active listening signals that my mom taught me growing up, as a way to show someone, "Hey, I hear you!  You are important.  What is on your mind?"  

He told me about how he studied chemistry in high school and remembered some of it still.  Also, he commented on how my choice of oatmeal was a good and healthy one. Then he told me about his interests in third world hunger and finding ways to address those problems. From the conversation, I gathered that he has lived in several nations where he has seen these problems first hand. Then, in his normal conversational tone, he told me about how he is a Christian, and even though he sees the problems in the world, he wants to see the Kingdom of God encounter them.  

I noticed that as we spoke, people started looking at us.  I think mostly they wanted to see if I would give the guy the time of day, given that he had a certain homeless quality to him.  It made me want even more to show this guy that what he had to say was important.  If they only knew that it was actually me who would leave thankful that he gave me the time of day.

It's a good thing I decided to listen to that voice tugging at my heart, "Pay attention."  It's a good thing I didn't let my ambition to find favor with the "high ups" in society stop me from finding favor with a "high up" in the true economy of greatness.  That man left that day by saying, "Good luck in your studies, Caitlin."  And I said to him, "Best of luck to you too, Jay."  I don't think I'll ever forget him.  He embodied something truly beautiful.  Something that only heaven can really comprehend, yet I can ask for eyes that see like heaven sees.  Eyes that didn't see Jay's teeth or unkept hair as reasons to barely put up with his story--but saw him, Jay, a son of God.

A few minutes later, the older gentleman with the cane got up to leave.  As he passed me, he glanced over and said, "Have a good day" and smiled. Such beauty.  

Those were divine appointments in which I saw God's brilliance.  I don't know what exactly, but something in me was touched deeply that day. The poor in spirit get the Kingdom.  Selah. 

No comments: