Saturday, September 10, 2011

babies and science

The initial dreams filling my sleep last night were filled with babies running around and microscopic cells floating everywhere, which are probably good indicators of what has filled my time this past week.  Babysitting and science, both of which have introduced me to new people with whom I now spend the majority of my time, despite the fact that we are all practically strangers with not much chance of getting to know each other too well.  Well, that's not entirely true.  I guess I'm getting to know the babies pretty well considering that I change their diapers, learn what foods they like, understand the limitations they have physically right now but also learn how their individual personalities try to fight against those limitations.  That's pretty intimate. 

I have questions about this season.  I used to feel bad for questioning things, for wanting to know why things happened in a certain way, a specific order.  Yet, people ask questions of seasons in nature all the time.  Why did the leaves on the trees change color?  Why is there snow in the winter?  Why do certain animals go south when the weather turns cold, or even hibernate for months, avoiding the cold altogether?    If these questions, as simple as the ones I picked may seem, were never asked, then we would have never explored the possibilities of what makes seasons work and what makes them different from each other. And so I don't feel bad anymore about my curiosity.  I don't feel bad asking God why, even if the answer doesn't make sense for a long time, or if the only answer I get is, "I'm good.  I've got you.  Just wait and see what's right around the corner."  A father's exhortation not to give up.  To know he's there.  To know he already sees what is ahead and has already made the provision. 

No comments: