Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"my duty is not to get people to like me--it's to get people to like His Son." -Steve Saint

Last night I went to hear the son of missionary Nate Saint speak. Nate Saint was martyred alongside four other missionaries in Ecuador in 1956. His son Steve shared stories about his own life and about what it's like to journey with Jesus and follow His trail even in hardship. I initially went to the meeting because a friend insisted that I go. And also because growing up, Jim Elliot was one of my heroes. I am so thankful that I didn't listen to my tired body, but instead chose to go.

Steve Saint inspired me in a way that is rare and precious. It was one of those nights that I will never forget, and one of those messages where I felt like a sponge soaking up every word.

As I'm getting ready to graduate in a few weeks, I find myself cherishing these last few days--trying hard to capture the moments and save them in a memory file that will never get deleted. I know that what happened in my heart last night was part of what I'm filing away because I want to be a person with the character and passion of Steve Saint. He had a presence about him that was marked by a deep understanding of both grace and forgiveness. I want to love like him and forgive like him.

As I get my diploma and move into the next season, my heart longs to live. really live. I want to trust God to write my story--Steve said last night, "the most important decision you will make in life is to let God write your story."

That's the only thing that I know about what is next. I'm settling it in my heart that the only way to go is to trust God to be the guide. I'm going His way.

No comments: