Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thomas Merton

"We drove into town with Senator Dawson, a neighbor of the monastery, and all the while I wondered how I would react at meeting once again face to face, the wicked world. I met the world and I found it no longer so wicked after all. Perhaps the things I had resented about the world when I left it were defects of my own that I had projected upon it. Now, on the contrary, I found that everything stirred me with a deep and mute sense of compassion. Perhaps some of the people we saw going about the streets were hard and tough...but I did not stop to observe it because I seemed to have lost an eye for the merely exterior detail and to have discovered, instead, a deep sense of respect and love and pity for the souls that such details never fully reveal. I went through the city, realizing for the first time in my life how good are all the people in the world an dhow much value they have in sight of God." [from The Sign of Jonas]

No comments: