Monday, March 15, 2010

His Greatness

The other night I took a drive out to the ocean to visit a friend and look at the stars. As she and I stood there just staring up into the huge sky and out at the seemingly unending mass of water, I realized just how small I felt.

It was the best feeling I've had in a long time.

It was not the smallness that comes from someone disgracing and putting you down. It was the smallness that comes when you realize Someone is looking our for you--and that there is a Captain who is greater than every storm that hits our lives.

When I start seeing this world as my home my compass gets messed up. I become disoriented. I get the map flipped upside down and spattered with the tears of regret and heartache. I get confused. This journey that is supposed to be full and brimming over with life and adventure feels less significant and more like survival.

But when I remember again that this place is not home--that I am a pilgrim whose Father is directing my steps--True North becomes my navigation point once again. Things come back into alignment.

I like alignment. I like simply trusting Abba. Cause I have no idea where I"m going, but He knows.