Friday, December 6, 2013

Remembering Mandela

Walked home from work tonight in rain that turned to hail.  Seems like a set-up for a bad mood, but instead it made me happy.  My thoughts turned to Nelson Mandela.  This world is already missing his beautiful soul.  Will my generation have leaders of his caliber?  Those who will hold onto what they believe about justice for all men, regardless of the cost.  Those who will choose forgiveness over and over again.  And here I am, wondering if I can actually handle eight more years of school to step into a dream.  Yet even if this journey I am on leads to a totally different door than what I was expecting, the truth still remains that the kinds of dreams that impact the world require sacrifice and hard work.  But the hard work doesn't have to be a burden.  It can be a joy.

Nelson Mandela, you will be missed.  Thank you for the lessons you taught humanity through the way you lived-- for your courage, your kindness, your integrity, your perseverance.

"We can change the world and make it a better place. It is in your hands to make a difference." --Nelson Mandela


 

No comments: