Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My mom and I took a  roadtrip this past weekend to seal off our last year of adventure, an adventure that led us on a roadtrip out to California, passing through beautiful South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and settling in Shasta County, CA, where the mountains and the culture brought such peace, healing, joy, friendship. 

And now that season ends with a forceful re-entering into school.  For me, last minute decisions seem to help me turn my mind off and "just do it", jumping into the water and knowing I will learn how to swim, even if the water is absolutely freezing.  Tonight I go to my first class in a year, Physics 1, where I have no idea if I will be able to handle the material and where I fear I will be surrounded by students with far more impressive academic backgrounds than myself.  I may be the only one who says, "Oh, I spent two years of my undergrad career on movie sets and in practice tv studios...and now I want to go into, um, medicine...."

So...

Boston, Boston, take me in...and Cambridge, please be gentle with me. ;)  

Here I am, ready for a new chapter, a coming of age, a fresh season.  Excited, overwhelmed, in shock, expectant...and completely in awe of the provision of God and the kindness of others as I've transitioned into this new thing.

Ten years from now, I will be thankful I took this step, regardless of how it turns out.  

"History says, Don't hope on this side of the grave.  
But then, once in a lifetime the longed for tidal wave 
of justice can rise up, 
And hope and history rhyme."
 -Seamus Heaney



No comments: