Sunday, December 30, 2012

Oh! Pioneeeeeeer.

Today feels like a smile and a kiss from Papa.  We're headed to the Avenue of the Giants for the rare experience of feeling incredibly small next to giant redwoods.

As the northern part of Route 101 stretches before us, my thoughts turn to the first settlers of this land and the courage required to explore rugged, unfamiliar territory.  Thinking about the decisions we too often face when we feel the invitation into a great adventure that will inevitably change us in deep and life broadening ways, I wonder how often our hearts ignore the beautiful whisper of the Great Captain as he beckons us into journeys dangerous and incredible, simply because we don't know what we'll look like when we emerge on the other side.  Will the people we love even recognize us?  Will we even be called by the same name when we reach the end?  What will such a journey cost?

But when I think of the alternative, I know that the only way to live is fully alive in Him, where the path is often unpredictable but the joy is unspeakable, full of glory.

One thing I'm learning about living courageously is that following peace doesn't always look like taking the predictable, safe route.   Peace doesn't mean we know the outcome or the cost, but it does mean we trust the Father's heart enough to know He really wants to write an incredible story with our lives as we just surrender to His invitations.  He is more than capable and willing to take our surrender and turn it into something glory.  And in God, where there is peace, there grace also exists, and grace will always find and sustain us on the path.

Sometimes when I quiet my heart in the midst of transition and decision making, I can hear Him whisper things like, "Oh dear one, don't you know your name is etched all over my heart and my hand?  You matter to me in ways beyond your understanding, and I will fulfill everything I've promised.  Don't miss out on doing life deeply with me.  I can promise you that fullness is the consequence of taking my hand and walking with Me."

Oh to be a pioneer walking with Him.  What other offer could ever satisfy more than that?

No comments: