Saturday, December 22, 2012

inconceivably dear


"You are inconceivably, irresistibly dear." 

-Irish Storyteller, sharing his grandmother's words



Last night my family (all 6 of us, miracle of miracles!) attended an Irish Christmas event at a local Redding, California theater.  Beautiful is a fitting description for the evening.

The artists danced, sang, played beautiful instruments and told stories, all things that get my heart wild, connecting me to something of my heritage, even if it is a distant connection.  The Irish know what it means to value a story, and they know how to celebrate.  What better way to prepare for the celebration of Christmas, the most breathtaking story in all the world?

As I think about stories lately, my thoughts often wander to eyes.  Which is strange, I guess, but in my own logic, there is a powerful linkage between a person's eyes (and hands), and their journey.  When I picture Jesus right now, His face is full of laughter and His eyes smile.  Maybe the writer of Little Drummer Boy saw that picture too when he penned "then He smiled at me," seeing a Savior whose eyes already held in them the destiny of what He would become, the kindness of a pure heart that would give its life out of love for friends. Eyes that would silently, yet loudly, communicate to each person who encountered them, "You are truly, deeply loved.  Inconceivably, irresistibly dear, worth my very life."  

And not only did His sight speak value, but His gaze contained the power to redeem.  Meant to change the chemistry of the eyes that stared back into His, taking all the stories of their journey, brokenness and all, fitting them into the beauty of being hidden inside of Him forever.

This Christmas, the prayer of my heart is for Jesus' gaze to capture my family, taking the brokenness of this last year and bringing it into His strong embrace.  We will see His goodness in the land of the living, where our eyes are full of laughter, smiling back at Him as He smiles at us.





No comments: