Sunday, July 22, 2012

Besides listening to the revolutionary Steve Backlund in church this morning and hanging out with my cousin for a few hours, my day has been spent in the crazy world of Organic Chemistry, trying hard to get E2, SN2, E1, SN1 reactions down.

While studying at the dining room table, someone turned on the news and my heart turned heavy as the names of the victims in the Aurora shooting were named at the Memorial Service.  The stories of bravery and courage brought legit tears to my eyes, and I had to leave my books for a few minutes to let myself feel some of the emotions circulating through the hearts of all those in attendance at that sobering memorial.  

It struck me so deep, the comment made about how one act of darkness caused tons of light to explode all over the place.  What a picture of Life.  What a picture of the way excessive hope is almost held on reserve for moments like this, where history gets marked with a tragedy that couldn't win in taking away the joy or kindness of the living.   

Today marks the anniversary of a friend who lost his life in a helicopter accident on his way home from a charity event three years ago.   Even though time has put distance between the event and present life, the tragedy still feels close.  Yet, I look at the lives of his widow and two incredible kids, and I see so many remarkable characteristics in them--choices they are making that are honoring him, walking out his legacy.  I see them choosing to overcome loss and turn it into something worthwhile. They are so courageous.  

Events like these make me glad I'm not in a position where I'm called upon to give words of consolation, because I would not know what to say in the midst of so many unanswered questions and mixed feelings of sorrow and relief.  I would only want to cry with those grieving, even in the midst of feeling joyous that many made it out okay. 

 Things like this bring humanity to an interesting halt, where we stop and evaluate what's important, finding ourselves valuing one another and the small things with a rare intensity.  There are a lot of big decisions my family is in the midst of making at the moment, but they all seem to come into proper perspective when hit with the shortness of life.  Making the perfect decision doesn't seem as important as living with a heart that is fully alive and committed, regretting nothing because life is too short for the exhausting "why?"s and "what if?"s.  


No comments: