Wednesday, July 20, 2011

my prayer


"I hope you always forgive, and you never regret..."

Babysitting has become my side career. If I could put that down on a resume as job experience (which it totally is), I would have some impressive qualifications. I may not be the greatest writer, or ever make it to NY Times level journalism, but I sure do know how to make an awesome grilled cheese sandwich.

Lately, I've found myself turning to a prayerful kind of thinking when I'm around some of the children I watch on a regular basis. Many of my hopes for them turn into a conversation with God, "Hey Abba, what are they going to become? Will they desire you? Will they overcome the tough stuff, and become stronger because of it? I hope so. Make it so."

I'm not sure how long I'll be in their lives, or if they will even remember me a year from now, but I know that I will remember them. I think babysitting makes me even more thankful for the good teachers who exist in this world. After a parent, I wonder if there is any role more vital in a child's life than that of a good teacher, and as a babysitter, I get a small taste of the privilege of being involved in someone's formational years.

And I find myself more aware of the responsibility I carry...we carry...to a younger generation. I pray that they learn that forgiveness is a main ingredient of a beautiful person, that regret is not worth carrying, and that love conquers evil all the time, even if it doesn't make sense or seem like it right away. And I pray that their hearts long for Jesus, and that cultural Christianity wouldn't water down the adventure of living life with Him. I pray that whatever life throws their way, there would be a grace to overcome, and a joy unspeakable, full of glory.

As I go to Mexico, I am praying these things for the kids there too. That God would capture their hearts with the incredible generosity and goodness of His heart, and that they would say yes to following Him and never look back.




No comments: