Friday, April 15, 2011

thankful

Yesterday, my dad went to the doctor to get a stint in one of his main arteries, which was 99% blocked. He was possibly just a few days, maybe hours, away from a heart attack. People were praying, and I know those prayers are working...

Today, he and I worked in the garden, planted some berries, talked about the mint leaves that I've been growing but not tending. He seemed peaceful; a bit older. We talked about his health, and about how lifestyle changes are endorsed by doctors when scary events happen, but we have to really want those changes to make it happen. Sometimes it feels like will power isn't enough--like maybe what's really needed is a miracle.

Love births miracles.

Underneath the whole day, unspoken love was communicated. In that love, I felt such a desire to discover what really matters and to stop wasting my time on other pursuits. Blink of an eye. That's all any of us have. Listening to my dad share about what he still wants to do with his life, I realized that in his words he was sharing with me the legacy that I will inherit. That's exciting and full of joy, but also heavy. It makes me think about my own life and where I invest my time.

We have our mandate: do justly, love mercy, walk humbly, take care of the orphan and widow, keep yourself unspotted from the world. From where do these actions flow? The greatest command is this: love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.

I want to learn this walk from Him. I want to take my feet off of a complacent pattern and place them on His path of life, where there is such grace to walk in fullness.

I'm so thankful that God gave my dad rescue yesterday. I'm thankful for good doctors and for a lot of powerful prayers and genuine love. I'm thankful that we have more days left to live out love.


2 comments:

Hannah Noelle said...

That is so awesome that God rescued your dad :) And it's great that more love is coming out of it. My dad needs rescuing sometimes, too. He's always getting sick and he has breathing problems but God is definitely healing him and he's healing yours, too.

Caitlin Elizabeth said...

Amen! I believe that He is healing both of ours!