Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Hero Is With Jesus Tonight

David Wilkerson was killed tonight in a car accident. As soon as I found out, something hit my gut and tears came into my eyes. For me, that's not really a normal reaction towards someone I do not know on a personal level. But David Wilkerson feels like someone who I've known because of how deeply he's impacted my life from the time I was a little girl. He is a true father in the faith. I think I am feeling the loss of a father, of that pillar, of that voice. Courageous and so in love with Jesus, he did things that few would have the guts to do, and he knew his call. He didn't waver.


He ended his final blog post, published today, with these words:

Beloved, God has never failed to act but in goodness and love. When all means fail—his love prevails. Hold fast to your faith. Stand fast in his Word. There is no other hope in this world.

David Wilkerson, you will be missed. In a culture where celebrity is elevated, it's hard to say good bye to the real fathers. Your vision will continue because you chose well--to deposit your life into eternal purposes. Thank you for being an example of what it means to love and obey God. I'm really glad you get to laugh with your best friend tonight. Joy unspeakable, through and through.



No comments: