Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pursuing Love

‎"I find three deep sources of poverty that conspire to keep me & my good neighbors on the sidelines in the great struggle against evil: a poverty of compassion, a poverty of purpose, and a poverty of hope."
-Gary Haugen

My sister Brianna made me aware of this quote (via facebook, of course). It totally struck a chord of conviction in me. How often do I have my heart broken by injustice, and then continue talking about it without devising an actual course of action? How often do I surrender to a poverty of compassion, purpose and hope without even attempting to kindle these elements in my heart?

Gary Haugen is one of my heroes. He has been for a long time, with his constant example of love that challenges me to not only be excellent in all that I pursue, but to be passionate. Excellent, not so that men applaud me, but so that others can be touched through the gifts that God has placed in my life.

As one who recognizes that I do not have the ability to excel in every skill set, I get so excited to see people in a diversity of fields who not only love what they do, but have a conviction of using those skills to bless others. That excites me and inspires me. It starts to stir hope in my heart, that it is possible to change things that are unjust--that it is actually possible to see an end to poverty and a cure for terrible diseases like AIDs. That it is actually possible to develop cities of refuge for those who have been enslaved, brainwashed, and left to die. And as I think of that hope, compassion and purpose inevitably follow. It's my responsibility to stir those things up, to cultivate a heart that desires to love. As I pursue love, God fills my heart with the love that only He can put inside of me--one that doesn't get tired or let up--a love that is willing to pay the price and endure to the end.

No comments: