Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cup-O-Noodles and Chopsticks

Today was one of those unforgettable, crazy days. Which is only proper, considering that it is St. Paddy's Day, one of my absolute favorite days of the year. It is well deserving of memory making treatment.

I woke up to breakfast in the making, with oatmeal on the stove. Even though I eat oatmeal almost every morning, this time it felt different. It felt Emerald Isle-ish! My mom put in an album called Irish Tenors, and my grandma started singing along to "Smiling Irish Eyes" and wishing me a happy day in gaelic. It was a lovely morning. I also read an article about Saint Patrick, the abolitionist. An inspired life that man led. A God lover to the core, totally surrendered to the will of the Father. Now that's true Freedom. I want to live with that much intentionality, that much vision, that much obedience.

My pondering can't last forever. Practical tasks need to get done too.

Rooms needed cleaning. The arrival of spring brings with it the motivation to downsize and sweep out the dusty hidden places. So I started in on that task, playing music to inspire the mission. A text message arrived offering me a babysitting job, so I took it and went on my way in my mom's chrysler convertible. As soon as I picked the little girl up from school, she was excited to put down the hood and turn up some Adele as we sipped on Shamrock shakes from McDonalds. Mmm...a girl after my own heart. We got home, ate dinner, drove to the park. Almost instantly after getting out of the car, she was on the playground playing tag with kids she's never met. I was in awe, literally. If only I had such an easy time in the social department.

Once she was done, we piled back in the convertible, hood down, music up, and drove the short distance around the block to her house, where the trampoline in the backyard was patiently awaiting our return. We jumped for a few minutes, with my weight making her fly through the air. I think the fact that I know how to make her feel like she's flying is why she behaves for me. I'm glad I've figured out the secret to success in that department. Then, her friends came over, but their dad's truck got stuck in the driveway. While he was trying to call his wife and figure out what to do, I was suddenly looking out for three extra kids. It turned out to be a lot of fun, and I came to the conclusion that if I ever do get married and have kids, I want to have tons of boys because they are hilarious and so much fun.

I got home later than usual, but felt a random extraverted side bubble up in me. I suddenly had the compulsion to round up some friends and eat some sushi. Then it hit me that all the people who would usually be game for such an adventure live far away. Not many people, besides maybe my sisters, know that social moods rarely hit me, and when they do, they must be seized. Often, socializing feels more like an obligation to me, which then becomes more like torture for all parties involved. But there are times where the desire to just hang out and laugh overcomes all my introverted tendencies. I like those times, but I don't like them when there is no one around.

So instead I went to the cupboard to find something else that could be eaten with chopsticks. Cup-o-Noodles. That's all I could find. Oh the memories. I put some hot water in the styrofoam cup (which makes me feel the opposite of environmentally friendly), wrote a fb status about wanting friends close by to eat sushi with, and decided to write this blog.

Now, I will open up a book on medicine...and read til my eyes won't stay open.

What an exciting life.




2 comments:

BirdRoots said...

Oh how I love you:) Your "exciting life" is more than a little impactful. Sometimes simplicity screams the most meaningful. xoxo

Caitlin Elizabeth said...

I love you so very much. :)