Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Chase You, Dawn

written for a friend


Determined
Not to leave this place
Until I leave looking like your face.


Night:
“The time from dusk to dawn when no sunlight is visible.”

Dawn:
“To begin to grow light as the sun rises; To begin to appear or develop; To begin to be perceived or understood.”

I’ve heard it said
Tears may last through the night
Yet rejoicing comes with the new day

So
I chase you dawn,
Through the night
I chase
Knowing something epic pulls me forward
Ambition turns to affection under the shadow

I chase you, until I learn
How to hear
How to see
How to trust
Until I learn what it means to be owned by someone
Someone who is not me

I chase you, dawn
Even when darkness makes no sense
I chase
Restless dreams feel more heavy than alive
Still I run

I chase you dawn
Into the break of day
I chase
Where I glimpse colors I’ve never seen before
And senses come alive after the long night

I chase you, dawn
Into the glory of the morning
I chase
Looking back I see
This journey, though hard,
Has built me

I chase you dawn
Until my heart beats in time
With the message of this night
I chase
Because I must see His face
And I'm not leaving this place
Until

I chase you dawn
Watching the movements of the Maker
I chase
Learning that these words are like fire
Breaking rocks to pieces

I chase you dawn
Until I awake new
I chase
Until I find you
….or maybe it’s you who found me.

Even if I want to give up, I can’t
Some nights are longer than others
But I’ve watched enough sunrises
To know morning always comes


"...The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me- A prayer to the God of my life."
-Psalm 42:8

No comments: