Saturday, June 23, 2012

“Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward.” 
 E.E. Cummings

My little brother graduated a few days ago, and I am incredibly proud of him.  Extended family drove long distances to celebrate him, and it made me realize that if there is one thing that Irish Catholic's are good at, it's celebrating.   That is a part of my heritage that took me a while to get comfortable with, but it's something for which I am very thankful.  Learning how to actively honor another's achievements is a beautiful thing.

As I was writing my brother's graduation card, I realized something amazing about that heart of his:  he sees really clearly and he feels deeply, even if he wouldn't admit to it.  That is rare and beautiful.  A few months ago we were having a discussion about Terrance Malick's film Tree of Life, and Killian brought up the film's central discussion about the way of grace being so different from the way of nature.  Often he will make a statement, when faced with the formation of an opinion or the need to make a pressing decision, that he is going to choose the way of grace.  I'm sure he will be exploring the depth of what that means for the rest of his life.  If I had to pick just one character trait of his to celebrate, I think it would be his honest and active search for the true and the real.  It takes courage to ask hard questions, and it takes patience to develop eyes that really see.  I can learn a lot from that brother of mine, and I look forward to the many insightful discussions and adventures that are ahead.


No comments: