Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Love Songs

This blog post may make me sound like a hater of love who is badly in need of a therapist to work through childhood trauma or something.

love songs leave me skeptical. and cynical of whatever it is we as a culture and a generation call love. I'll rock out to them--moved by the beat and taken into the emotions of the words--yet right after that, I'll start to think how ridiculous it would be to ever actually say some of those things to another person. Or to feel that way for someone else. Call me hard, but I can't think of telling someone that I can't survive without them. It sounds so weak to me--so lacking in wholeness. Which means maybe I have a problem being weak? Or maybe I just want to know real love. I'm not sure.

Maybe I'll schedule that counseling session asap to figure this out.

1 comment:

Jeremy Crouch said...

Being a romantic, I often found myself in my younger years "rocking out" to the beat of love songs. They were my escape from reality. They became my dream. Though I can't sing well, I could imagine being with someone and "romancing her." However, life and the purest and truest Romance of all, has taught me that there is only one I cannot live without -- only one love who sacrificed all for humanity -- and this is the kind of love I am to show the woman whom God will choose for me to marry. No, true love is not a karaoke night full of groovy and captivating love. No, real love is what is felt and seen in the silence of the middle of the night...knowing that it will never leave your side.