Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Throwing Away Options

Rant blog, but here it goes. 

I'm so tired of options.  We are a culture in love with possibility, which is amazing in many ways,  but can also get out of control and unhealthy.  

A few days ago, my friend Katelyn made a profound statement, "Options have made us too crazy." Today, I read an article in Christianity Today that addresses the prevalence of options in our world and the consequences of having so many choices. It convicted me, calling me out on my own tendency to always want to wait around until something feels perfect, procrastinating on making solid, definite choices.  Growing up in not just a national culture that celebrates the power of being able to  make changes and break commitments on a whim, without much thought for consequences, I also grew up in a church sub culture where prophetic words were often given too much clout in determining choices.  

My personality already has a tendency towards spontaneity and seeing the world as wide open with potential, which is something I love and don't want to lose, but in the midst of my free-spirited nature, I find myself craving commitment.  I love adventure, however as I grow older I'm beginning to think that there is an incredible adventure found in making powerful, true decisions that become a single-minded, focused commitment to an unaltered path.  The adventure is found in what comes after the "yes", and the amazing things that come along after a clear decision is made.  

The author of the article, Barry Cooper, wrote, "Making choices and moving on with our lives seems increasingly difficult.  We find ourselves paralyzed: unable to make choices about relationships, dating, marriage, money, family and career.  I want to suggest that if we feel unable to make these choices...it may be because we're worshiping a false god."  He adds, "The god of open options is also a liar.  he promises you that by keeping your options open, you can have everything and everyone.  But in the end, you get nothing and no one." 

A brief scan through history seems to indicate that the most powerful people throughout time have been those who knew how to make solid, courageous decisions, and never allowed their thoughts to be crippled by regret or a surplus of option.  They didn't live in fear of what could possibly happen if they chose this one path instead of another.  They just said "yes".  

And that's what I want to start living-- the power of true decisions, where fear of the options and fear of wrong choices is no longer something that cripples or distracts.  Clear thoughts.  Clear heart.  Clear vision.  

The article ends, "Choose the God of infinite possibility who chose to limit himself to a particular time, a particular place, and a particular people.   Choose the God who closed off all other alternatives so that he could pursue for himself one bride.  Choose the God who chose not to come down from the cross until she was won.  Choose the narrow way.  Stop worshiping the god of open options."  

No comments: